Exercise and Fitness

52 and exercising

12/17/2004

Question:

Hi I am 52, female, and have been exercising for over a year. I swim 1/2 mile, lift weights and take a martial arts class which I am very motivated to do. The problem is I occaionally am unable to get through the class because of weakness, profuse sweating and being out of breath. I take a beta blocker and I understand that this can cause trouble. I am also glucose intolerant and about 40 pounds overweight. I really want to continue with this class. Do you have any advise about building my endurance?

Answer:

Building cardiovascular endurance is a result of gradual adaptation to greater demands placed on the body. Gradually and slowly increasing the length of time of your cardiovascular activity will help. For instance, increasing your swimming mileage gradually. Perhaps you may want to try another cardiovascular activity (continuous movement of the large muscle groups) such as walking or biking. Start out with 5-10 minutes and increase the time by a minute or two per session (as tolerated).

Consult with your physician to make sure that you are not experiencing any medical condition or medication problem that may be contributing to your fatigue and shortness of breath.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley