Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Finding the Best Treatment of Bipolar Disorder In the World

08/24/2004

Question:

Sir, We are from India. My son (aged 23) has been diagnosed first with Schizophrenia by NIMHANS(India), then with Bipolar Disorder by another institute in India. Presently we are doing treatment for Bipolar Disorder. We are totally confused because neither of these treatments has provided a satisfactory results. I would be very happy if you could answer my questions. Where in this world- which country-which organisation- can provide us the best diagnosis and treatment for Bipolar disorder? Is it worth going there for diagnosis and treatment rather than seeking the best place in India for the same disorder? Which is the best organization for providing the best treatment for bipolar disorder in India? Thank you...

Answer:

Hello and thank you for your questions regarding your son and the assessment and treatment of bipolar disorder in India and elsewhere. Apologies for not getting back to you sooner as I was checking with a psychiatrist colleague of mine who is from India. Her answer was "NIMHANS, in Bangalore,Karnataka state." That sounds like the same one you have already been to, so I am going to e-mail another colleague at the University of Illinois who was trained in India and who specializes in child/adolescent bipolar disorder.

As your son is an adult (which is not my specialty, I'm afraid), other very informative websites in the USA include:

If your son is eventually diagnosed with bipolar disorder, here is a list of books which families tell me are extremely helpful:

1. Living Without Depression & Manic Depression --M. E. Copeland

2. An Unquiet Mind -- K. Redfield Jamison

3. The Bipolar Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know --D.J. Miklowitz

I will get back to you when I hear from my contact in Chicago. All best wishes.

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry