Urinary Tract Cancers

Post OPerative ED

08/17/2004

Question:

I am now 5 years Post op radical prostectomy for prostate cancer with PSA <0.1 and have ED. I have minimal reaction to Viagra - Cialis and Levantra have no discernable effect. I use a pump successfully for intercourse. A) Is there any surgical treatment at this time for PO ED? b) Is there any other medical treatment, e.g., can I use testerone now to enhance effects of Viagra on getting a satisfactory erection. c) any other suggestion? Thanks

Answer:

There is injection therapy available and you should discuss this with your urologist.  Also a penile prosthesis can also be placed and this option should be discussed as well.  Testosterone may be effective if your testosterone is low but many would be reluctant to place you on the medication because of the history of prostate cancer.  Do feel it may be of value to have this determination made.  It is a simple blood test.

I hope these thoughts are helpful to you.

Go to the Urinary Tract Cancers health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology