Braces

Wearing a headgear with retainers-is it safe?

08/27/2004

Question:

Hello. I just removed my braces and got my retainers. During my orthodontic treatment, I had to wear a headgear for my upper teeth. My orthodontist told me to continue wearing the headgear with my retainers to help keep the teeth in position (my upper retainer has some special attachment to slide in the headgear wire). He tells me it is safe to do this, but I`m just really worried and would like to have another opinion. Is it safe to wear a headgear with retainers?

Answer:

In cases where there may have been critical anchorage problems there may well be a need to continue wearing the headgear even with a retainer. This may be also true if growth is not completed. It would be my recommendation that you ask your orthodontist to give some estimate of the additional time that the headgear will be needed. I assume you are under continued observation during this period so ask this question at the next visit.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry