Prostate Cancer

Is a PSA of 3.0 Normal and Is a Biopsy Required?

10/01/2004

Question:

Thank you for helping me. I read so many different opinions and I think I still need some help! I am a 48 yr. male, very sexually active with wife, workout daily, slight to moderate BPH. PSA levels as follows: 1998 2.5, 2000 2.2, 2001 2.4, 2002 2.6 and 2.8, 2003 2.4, and 2004 3.0. I just ran a free and a bound on myself this week, had no sex or supplements for three days prior, results pending. I am just worried at 3.0, can this be normal for me, my life style as above? If it is normal per say, do I still need a biopsy, etc? Thanks so much.

Answer:

I assume you have had a digital exam of your prostate and other than mild enlargement, no abnormalities are present.  Given that fact and the presence of a normal PSA, I feel you are fine and would suggest that you continue to have an evaluation  (rectal exam and PSA) on  a yearly basis. It is also important to remember that PSA will go up slightly as men age - simply because the prostate grows and a typical rate of rise (PSA velocity) is 0.7/year.  You certainly fall within this change. 

I see no need to change your lifestyle nor do I see any need at this time for a prostate biopsy. 

I hope these comments are helpful to you.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology