Exercise and Fitness

`The firm body sculpting system`

10/11/2004

Question:

Hi, I am 29, on my 4th week and would like to know if I can go on with my normal excercise routine which is 3 times a week, following the above mentioned tapes. This would not constitute any increase in the level of my activity, since I have been doing these excercises for three years now. If you are unfamiliar with this program it contains light weight upper and lower body training combined with aerobics (including step) and abdominal work. Should I supplement it with somthing specific for pregnancy? Thank you

Answer:

First and foremost, you should consult your physician about what kind of exercise is appropriate for you and your individual situation.

According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, women can continue to exercise during pregnancy.  Regular exercise, three times per week, is preferable to intermittent activity.  Avoid exercise in the supine position after the first trimester as well as long periods of motionless standing.  You should be aware of your exercise intensity and modify it according to how fatigued you feel.  Any exercise that compromises your balance to the point of fetal or maternal harm or could cause abdominal trauma should be avoided.  Be sure that you are eating an adequate diet. Also, make sure to take into account the need for heat dissipation by adequately hydrating yourself, wearing appropriate clothing, and ensuring optimal environmental surroundings while exercising.

You may wish to contact a local hospital or fitness facility to inquire about prenatal exercise classes.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley