Prostate Cancer

Restoring Potency and Continence

10/18/2004

Question:

3 years after radical prostatectomy PSA levels are zero but I am still incontinent and impotent. Is there any help out there (anywhere in the world) to help repair the damage done. I presume the neurovascular bundle has been damaged among other things. Is there someone who can perform some kind of surgery to repair the damage done? I am 48 years old.

Answer:

There are obviously two issues - urinary incontinence and erectile dysfunction.  There are procedures that can be performed to help you regain urinary control such as placement of an artificial urinary sphincter.  I suggest you discuss this with your urologist or ask him/her to refer you to someone who has expertise in this area.

Similarly, there are devices and procedures that can be utilized in assisting in erectile dysfunction, and I suggest you discuss these with your urologist as well.  Penile prostheses are available as are other devices, and these options should be offered to you.  Other types of therapy such as penile injection can also be of assistance.

I hope these thoughts are helpful to you.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology