Child Abuse

Child Neglect and Childhood Bullying

10/26/2004

Question:

Do you have research on the impact of child maltreatment and bullying behaviors in school?

I am a graduate student doing my thesis on bully prevention, and want this info also for child welfare class assignment

Answer:

Good luck with your assignment.  We have no information on this topic but of course material can be found by doing a medline search.

To get you started, look at Shields A. Cicchetti D. Parental maltreatment and emotion dysregulation as risk factors for bullying and victimization in middle childhood.  [Journal Article] Journal of Clinical Child Psychology. 30(3):349-63, 2001 Sep.

This study looked at 169 maltreated and 98 controls. Maltreated were more likely to bully, and the bullying was especially prevalent in kids who were sexually or physically abused. Similar findings for both genders.

The article includes an excellent (and extensive) discussion of the dynamics between violence and bullying and has several references that appear to be directly related to the person's question.

Jonathan Thackeray, MD

Go to the Child Abuse health topic, where you can:

Robert Shapiro, MD
Professor of Clinical Pediatrics