Obesity and Weight Management

Advice on treatment center

11/17/2004

Question:

I have a friend who is morbidly obese (roughly 750 lbs.), and I have been trying to get information on treatment. Do places exist where a person can go and stay at them to get help losing weight? My friend lives in Columbus Ohio. Is there anywhere in or around Ohio that has the facilities to help my friend? He has looked into the Bariatric surgery, but it is very dangerous for a person his size. It is getting worse for him as he just went on medical retirement and he has not been getting out of the house at all the past year. If you could suggest places to call or things to try, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Answer:

I appreciate your concern for your friend.  There are few inpatient treatment facilities available.  Ohio does have one of which I am aware.  It is the Windsor Lane Health Care and Rehabilitation Center.  Four or five years ago they were written up for the wing they have dedicated to individuals such as your friend.  Many of the residents of this wing have come from other states.  I do not know whether insurance covers this treatment option, but I would encourage you to get additional information about the facility so your friend could discuss this with his physician.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Shirley A Kindrick, PhD Shirley A Kindrick, PhD
Former Team Leader of Comprehensive Weight Management