Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Addiction and Substance Abuse

Lortab Addiction



My elderly mother had a knee replaced, took Lortab for pain and is now addicted to it. She would like to discontinue taking it but cannot. Is there a rehab center in Ohio or a neighboring state which would be good for an elderly person who also has other health issues? Or is there another way for her to quit?


You indicate that your mother is elderly ad has multiple medical problems.  I would encourage you to accompany your mother to a follow up appointment with the prescribing physician and discuss   her wishes  and prior attempts to discontinue taking Lortab.  The prescribing physician can then make a referral to a chemical dependency treatment center for assessment and treatment, or the physician may choose to prescribe an outpatient detoxing taper of this medication. 

There are numerous  sites for assessment of chemical dependency  in Ohio and neighboring states.   If you have access to a computer, you can find more information and treatment centers at  www.samhsa.gov  or www.findtreatment.samhsa.gov/facilitylocatordoc.htm

In Columbus,Ohio you can call First Link at 614-221-2255 for referral.

For more information:

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Deborah L Hoy, CNS Deborah L Hoy, CNS
Clinical Instructor at the College of Nursing
College of Nursing
The Ohio State University