Prostate Cancer

Post Surgery Increase in PSA and Treatment

11/03/2004

Question:

The doctor said that my PSA would be about .01 or .02 after surgery. Eleven days after surgery, my PSA was 2.5 and my doctor is concerned, but says thats it to soon for treatment. I go back for another PSA test on Nov 22, 2004. The doctor mentioned radiation. There was no other place they found the cancer. Where could the cancer be? Also this PSA be normal so soon after surgery?

Answer:

I usually wait 2-3 months before getting a PSA after surgery.  It would also be important to know the pathologic findings on the prostate that was removed.  I would assume there is concern that the prostate cancer may have spread either to the lymph nodes or the area around the prostate that is not removed at the time of surgery.

I also wait a minimum of 3 months before starting radiation therapy after radical prostatectomy.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology