Braces

Begg Therapy

11/08/2004

Question:

Hi My orthodontist told me he would be "using the Begg Therapy to resolve Class 1 Malocclusion" with Stages 1, 2 and 3. Obviously, not being an orthodontist, I didn`t understand what he meant so when I asked him he just patronized me and told me it meant I had to have "wires on my teeth". I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit more about what is involved in this technique and what the stages were? Thank you for your help

Answer:

In Begg treatment the stages apply to certain tooth movements. Three stages are typical of extraction treatment. In Stage I, the molar teeth are moved into an over-corrected position for later anchorage changes. In Stage II, all extraction spaces are closed, and in Stage III, final root position occurs. These stages are all in one phase of treatment. As a patient I don't think this is of major concern except that you would need to wear elastics, and the direction of their application may vary in each stage. I think you should focus on what your orthodontists recommendations are, the estimated treatment time, and what cooperation he needs from you to obtain the best result.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry