Thursday, May 26, 2016
Exercise and Fitness
Lifting weights and pregnancy
I was just wondering if there are any lifting exercises that should not be done. I am in week 5 and I like to lift and do weight machines.
The American College of Sports Medicine cites the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists guidelines in regard to recommendations for exercise. Women who currently engage in a regular exercise program can continue their training during pregnancy without major modifications.
- Avoid exercise in the supine position after the first trimester.
- Modify the intensity of your workouts according to maternal symptoms.
- Stop when fatigued and do not exercise to exhaustion.
- Beware of loss of balance issues as the distribution of weight changes.
- Avoid any exercise that may result in trauma.
- Ensure that you are properly hydrated, wearing appropriate clothing, and considering environmental conditions to aid heat dissipation.
Above all, consult with your Obstetrician about any contraindicated exercises.
Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley
University of Cincinnati