Obesity and Weight Management

Body stuck in starvation mode

02/08/2005

Question:

Could you please provide information or sources for information about people who are stuck in the starvation mode but still have weight to lose. They exercise and what their calorie intake and are motivated but can not lose any more weight. It has been going on for years. Please help. Thank you.

Answer:

When I have patients that hit a plateau, I look at several things. First, have them take a look at their food records. Are they keeping an accurate record of everything they eat and drink? Are they actually measuring out foods or simply guessing at the portions? Next we look at their exercise. Are they challenging their bodies by increasing their workout routines regularly? Are they incorporating strength training? If we look at all of these factors and the individual seems to be doing what they can from a food and exercise point, then I may suggest a resting metabolic rate. With the help of this we can get a better understanding of how many calories they require in order to maintain their weight. Once it is determined what is needed to maintain, then we know the deficit that needs to be made in order to promote weight loss. The resting metabolic rate test takes the guess work out of setting up meal and exercise plans to help individuals lose weight. The easiest way to get this done is by the MedGem, and the company website www.healthetech.com can guide you to a facility that offers these close to you.

To Good Health!

Know Your Number (RMR) to Lose Weight

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Angela Blackstone, RD, LD
Staff Dietitian
Metabolic Surgery Program
Wexner Medical Center