Urinary Tract Cancers

Please help me--regarding spermatocele

01/20/2005

Question:

Dear Dr. Bodner and staff: I am 50 years old, s/p removal of spermatocele 7 years ago by a local community hospital urologist in Indiana. The surgery went well, we moved to Ohio, east of Cleveland. Approx 8 months ago I had recurrence of symptoms (very enlarged right hemiscrotum)--after asking several local PCPs, I consulted the local urologist recommended by them. US revealed spermatocele. The urologist recommended removal of the spermatocele--I had the surgery 5 weeks ago. I experienced significant post op bleeding with extensive echymoses. Eventually the ecchymoses resolved but I have a tender firm mass the size of a peach seed, above the right testicle. I have seen the surgeon three times post op --he says the mass is a "hematoma` (he did not offer to aspirate it) The hematoma has not gotten any smaller, and is painful when I try to jog or do any physical activity. I saw the urologist again today and he said basically I had to live with it--the "hematoma" may be organized and may never resolve. Can anyone please help me--I am very worried about this, it interferes with my ability to exercise and do any physical activity because it is painful. Do any of the urologists on your staff have special interest in this type of problem? please let me know--thank you for your time

Answer:

Oftentimes these do resolve.  In that it has been bothering you for some time I suggest you be examined again (perhaps by another urologist) and also suggest that a scrotal ultrasound be obtained to further assess the mass. 

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Go to the Urinary Tract Cancers health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology