Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children)

Identifying Phobias

06/23/2005

Question:

My daughter is 2 1/2 years old. 3 nights ago at about 5:30 in the morning she started calling for me wanting to come in my bedroom. About 2 minutes later, she started screaming frantically,shaking and clawing at me saying "Get me". When I asked her what was wrong, she said "the bee is gonna get me." Seeing as it`s winter in Buffalo, There are no bees right now, outside or in the house. I finally got her to calm down but this has happened again since then. It happens mostly during the day that she`ll start screaming that there is a bee trying to get her, with the shaking and crying and overwhelming fear of it. When I ask her to show me where the bee is, she says "There`s no bees in my house mommy." She`s only 2 and it`s hard to get her to talk about it to find where this fear is coming from.She has never had a fear of bees before and has never been stung by anything either. Please help me.

Answer:

Sounds like a simple phobia, very common in young children.  Please see your child's pediatrician for further explaination

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Floyd R Sallee, MD