Braces

Moving teeth after braces

03/06/2005

Question:

Dear Doctor, My son is in his second year of Law School at Ohio State. He wore braces for AGES it seemed!!! He had his braces removed during his senior year in high school - now about 6 years ago. He wore his retainer for awhile and then stopped. In the last couple of years, his teeth have begun to move!!!!! I took him back to his orthondontist - whom I really don`t like at all - and he said there was nothing he could do. I cannot accept this answer! Is there a referral service in Columbus or connected with the University that I could use to find a good orthodontist???? Is it possible - and I read an answer to a similar questions which was very depressing - to have some type of appliance made for my son which would help keep the teeth from moving even more than they have already??? He`s going to be a wonderful lawyer - he`s in the top ten perent of his class!!! This is why I am writing to you and not him - he spends every waking minute studying and hopes the problem will go away. Unfortunately, every time we see him - the problem seems to be getting worse!!! Any help you could give me would be very deeply appreciated!!! Thank you so much!!!

Answer:

Thank you for your question. It is timely. We must understand that just like the rest of our bodies, change is always occurring, be it hair line, muscle tone, or any number of examples. Why do we feel that the teeth once straightened may never change? The teeth are supported by periodontal ligaments that have elastic fibers, so these fibers may undergo physiologic change. Now, I suspect that the change your son has noticed is not of the degree that his original malocclusion evidenced. I also believe that some additional treatment would reestablish the correction and then future retention would be in order. If he would like, he could have an examination at the Orthodontic Section of Ohio State University College of Dentistry, Postle Hall, 305 West 12th Ave, Columbus, Ohio 43210 phone 614 292 9100. He could also contact the American Association of Orthodontists, 401 North Lindbergh Blvd., St. Louis, Missouri 63141-7816, phone 1800-424 2841 who will find an orthodontist in his area for consultation.

Don't despair, a small revision is probably indicated.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry