Can HIV Transmit From A Nail Scratch?

Sorry to bother you.  In my consolation and test work, I encountered a few policemen who were hurt by an HIV-infected person. Also, in the world-famous Wenlou "AIDS" village in Henan province in China, more than one half villagers caught HIV through selling blood. Because of poverty, many HIV-infected villagers commit robbing and racketeering, making use of the people`s fear of HIV. Some villagers even assault policemen when confronting them. So far more than one hundred policemen in Wenlou village have been hurt by assaultive HIV-infected villagers by nail scratch and biting. Almost all policemen hurt by HIV-infected person resorted to medical evaluation and asked for postexposure Chemoprophylaxis. Here I want to ask what level of the risk is, and whether it is warranted when the policemen only hurt by nail scratching by HIV-infected person. Your response based on scientific argument is much appreciated. Thank you and best regards.

Current CDC guidelines do not support HIV postexposure prophylaxis for the situation you describe.

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Amy Beth Kressel, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine