Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Parkinson's Disease

Where to begin



if i suspect my 82 yr old father may have parkinson`s with whom do i consult? I have already mentioned this to his internist-- he said he could begin sinement-- should i suggest seeing a neurologist for a more definitive diagnosis or try the medication?


Many Internists are experienced with diagnosis and care of early PD.  The decision for referral to a neurologist or a Movement Disorder Specialist (a neurologist who specializes in PD and related diseases) should be openly discussed with the Internist if, as the patient or family member, there is a question of the diagnosis or if that referral would provide more of a sense of comfort.  Open communication between the patient and the internist will provide the best guidance for this issue.

For more information:

Go to the Parkinson's Disease health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Karen M Thomas, DO Karen M Thomas, DO
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University