Stroke

Lanucular infarct possibility

04/25/2005

Question:

I have hx. of syncopal episodes, randomly and spaced over some years. The latest has precipitated an er visit, with ct scan showing possible infarct. Await MRI next wk. Have sx. of lightheadedness, slight vertigo, fatigue, slight weakness, headaches. Should I continue taking lo-dose asa, (am on no rx. meds), and should I continue to drive? No hx, htn, diabetes, some heart disease on one side of family.

Answer:

With regard to low dose aspirin, I would recommend continuing unless advised not to do so by your doctor.

With regard to driving, it is not advisable to drive if you have had loss of consciousness for any reason, as you would not want to lose consciousness while behind the wheel.  The states of Ohio and Kentucky recommend that you not drive for 3 months following any loss of consciousness.  Other states recommend different time periods, such as 6 months or more. 

For your own safety, I would recommend that you not drive, work in high places, work with heavy machinery or power tools, or swim/bathe alone as each could be dangerous if you lose consciousness.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program