Asthma

Prednisone Side Effects

04/15/2005

Question:

Hi doctor, I have asthma and sinus polyps, what I get the worst are asthma attack or nasal blockage. My doctor used to give Prednisone with regular dosage. Now my doctor is saying my blood sugar crossed above 200 and now got diabates due to side effect of Prednisone. Is it ture? How can I avoid Prednisone when I have a severe attack of asthma when I don't use Prednisone? Because I become normal if I use Prednisone and I can't live without that. I still take maintainence drugs like Cingular and Advir to control my asthma. What are the other possible side effects of predinsone?

Answer:

Prednisone is a very powerful anti inflammatory medication.  Prednisone is most often used for a short period of time to help treat an asthma attack.  Some asthma patients require chronic use of prednisone to control their asthma. Prednisone that is taken for a prolonged period of time has a number of significant side effects which include increase in the blood glucose level, high blood pressure and weight gain.  Due to the potential side effects of prednisone therapy, patients with asthma should have a complete and thorough evaluation by an asthma specialist to determine if there are any alternative therapies.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

John G Mastronarde, MD John G Mastronarde, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep