Gum Diseases

Bleding Gums

04/20/2005

Question:

My crown had to be replaced because of a breakage & during my visit to the dentist he advised replacing three other crowns as I have bleeding gums in that area. He did not comment on the fact that the bottom natural teeth are also bleeding when brushed. I am at a disadvantage as I have a limited amount of Spanish & am a new patient to this dentist. It all seems a bit extreme to me. Can you suggest anything? (I am Irish living in Spain)

Answer:

You are giving a history of bleeding during brushing.  This is a sign of inflammation.  If you did not have professional cleaning within 6 months period, you may need one.  Ill-fitting crown margins may cause irritation and bleeding.  However, if you have similar experience around teeth that do not have any type of restoration on them, you may be developing dental plaque induced gingival inflammation (gingivitis or in more severe form, periodontitis).  Thus, I recommend you having a periodontal examination and professional cleaning before restorations. Restorations may need to be changed if they are ill-fitting and irritating the tissue around them. 

You can also visit the American Academy of Periodontology or European Federation of Periodontology web sites to find periodontists practicing near where you are living.

American Academy of Periodontology
European Federation of Periodontology

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology