Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

"Curing" or Mananging Bipolar Disorder

04/28/2005

Question:

Can Bipolar Disorder be cured?

Answer:

Hello, Thank you for your excellent question of "Can the Bipolar Disorder be cured?" At this point in time we know of no cure for bipolar disorder. However, like diabetes, which also cannot be cured at this time, the symptoms of bipolar disorder often can be effectively managed by:

1. Psychoactive medication prescribed by a trained child-adolescents psychiatrist.

2. Psychotherapy focused on educating the child/teen family about the disorder and developing skills to prevent or manage symptoms.

3. School interventions aimed at educating the school personnel about the disorder and developing skills to prevent or manage symptoms and improve academic, behavioral and peer functioning.

Two excellent resources to find out more about these ways of managing bipolar disorder in children and adolescents include:

I hope that helps.  My best wishes.

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry