Obesity and Weight Management

Candida Bacteria and Weight Loss

05/16/2005

Question:

What influence does various bacterias in the body have on weight loss? I heard that if one has Candida or a thyroid disorder, it is impossible to lose weight. Is this true?

Answer:

I have not seen any research indicating that Candida bacteria effects weight loss. Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is a disease of the thyroid that occurs when the thyroid gland does not produce adequate amounts of thyroid hormone. In general, hypothyroidism can cause all metabolic processes to slow down, which can result in weight gain. A doctor diagnoses hypothyroidism after testing blood levels of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) to see if the thyroid gland is properly functioning. If hypothyroidism is diagnosed and corrected (for example, with medication) your metabolic rate and weight level should return to normal with a balanced diet and regular physical activity.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Jaime  Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD Jaime Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD
Formerly,
Extension Nutrition Associate
College of Education and Human Ecology