Face and Jaw Surgery

Jaw sugery - insurance question

05/12/2005

Question:

My jaw dislocates frequently and I often have headaches and earaches. I wonder if this can be surgically rectifed. Also, I happen to have mandibular prominence and hypertrophy of the masseter muscle due to my asian descent, both observable from frontal and lateral views. Can both the jaw problems plus the mandibular prominence be addressed together as a single surgery so insurance can cover it? Will insurance cover both for example in septoplasty? Thanks iin advance.

Answer:

Insurance companies vary widely in terms of what they cover and how they do it.  It will be impossible for me to tell you how your plan works without contacting them to find out.  I recommend that you call them and ask to talk to one of the case managers.  These are typically nurses who have been doing this for a while, and they can tell you, with a pretty good feel for the clinical issues, how the plan works.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Guillermo  E Chacon, DDS Guillermo E Chacon, DDS
Associate Professor of Dentistry