Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Connecting Bipolar Disorder and Lying

Is lying and being dishonest a symptom of bipolar disorder? The diagnosis has been made, but I can`t find any information on whether or not this is a symptom of severe bipolar disorder.

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. No, lying and being dishonest are not symptoms of bipolar disorder, as diagnosed by the main diagnostic text: The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual - Version 4 (DSM-IV) published by the American Psychiatric Association (APA). However, if lying and being dishonest are frequent, long-term and severe behaviors that cause impairment at home/school/friends, then they may be:

1. part of a diagnosis of Conduct Disorder, which frequently co-occurs with bipolar disorder and/or

2. an attempt by the child/teen to cover-up the problems caused by the bipolar symptoms.

I hope this answer helps with your enquiry. Best wishes!

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry