Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Connecting Bipolar Disorder and Lying

05/09/2005

Question:

Is lying and being dishonest a symptom of bipolar disorder? The diagnosis has been made, but I can`t find any information on whether or not this is a symptom of severe bipolar disorder.

Answer:

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. No, lying and being dishonest are not symptoms of bipolar disorder, as diagnosed by the main diagnostic text: The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual - Version 4 (DSM-IV) published by the American Psychiatric Association (APA). However, if lying and being dishonest are frequent, long-term and severe behaviors that cause impairment at home/school/friends, then they may be:

1. part of a diagnosis of Conduct Disorder, which frequently co-occurs with bipolar disorder and/or

2. an attempt by the child/teen to cover-up the problems caused by the bipolar symptoms.

I hope this answer helps with your enquiry. Best wishes!

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry