Newborn and Infant Care

Constant Newborn Loud Snorting/Rattling

06/15/2005

Question:

I have 6 wk old twins (girl & boy) born a little prematurely at 35-1/2 wks. The boy was born 50 min. after the girl. He had a stressful forcep delivery incl cord wrapped partially around neck. They clamped on both sides to cut the cord during delivery but due to amt of room, they had to cut outside clamped off area; thus, he loss enough blood to become anemic; he also was w/o oxygen for several minutes (Dr. said the hemoglobin in his blood provided enough O2 for him so it wasn`t a problem). The worst problem was probably a pneumo-thorax. His tx in NICU was mainly 100% O2 (canula hood), Nasal/gastro tube; a needle attempt didn`t improve pneumo-thorax but time did. He was released from hospital 6 days after delivery and the neonatologist said treat him like any other newborn. Now, the problem (?)/question: He was snorting/gurgling pretty badly while eating but my peditrician, on his 2 wk exam, said babies` throats are small and sometimes during feeding w/some babies, they will make a noise like this, and that was probably all it is. Since that ck-up, he now snorts/gurgles VERY loudly much more often when he is breathing not just at feeding. It becomes much worst as/if he gets "worked up" over diaper chng & bath. It can be pretty scary yet he seems to be okay and has gained good weight. Can this, now more frequent snorting, be normal? What is causing this to progress from feeding to maybe 65% of his breathing time? Any ideas -- I`ve heard that there can sometimes be soft tissue in the throat that can cause this sound and it will go away. With his complicated delivery, but clean bill of health at 2 wks -- what are some possibilities and should I be concerned? Thank you for any thoughts/input that you can provide!!!

Answer:

These respiratory problems are something can’t really be evaluated without a visit to your son’s health care provider. I would suggest that you make an appointment with his nurse practitioner or physician and not wait for his next well child visit.

Babies grow quickly during the first month of life and many changes occur, and one of this nature should be evaluated.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing