Obesity and Weight Management

To live a long life

06/14/2005

Question:

just returned from the hospital after a one week stay. I was given a broad diet suggestion from the doctor. I am looking for additional diet choices as the program I was given is very limited. I am 227 pounds and 5`2"tall, 52 years old. My mother, brother, sister all have stomach problems and are overweight. My mother had crohns disease (ileitis)and died early at 62 after surgery and the removal of a portion of her intestine. A very bad picture was portrayed by my emergency doctor at the hospital. Please help advise me about what I should do to live a long life.

Answer:

Thank you for writing in. Managing your weight means balancing the calories in (what you eat) with the calories out (what you burn in exercise). If there are medical problems making your weight management difficult, your doctor is the person who will help you identify and treat the problem. Your phyiscian can also make a referral to a local dietitian who can help you set up an individual meal plan.

If you meet with a dietitian, you will want to bring a 3 day food record of at least 3 days: 1-weekend day and 2 week days, including what you eat, when you eat and how much. Also keep a log of any exercise you do for that same period. The new pyramid website, ChooseMyPlate.gov , might also be a useful tool for you. You can build your own profile and actually keep food and exercise records online, which you'll be able to access from any computer. The website has a food/exercise bank that will help you determine calories eaten/burned. It really is a nice website designed to help consumers lead healthier lifetyles.

To Your Good Health!

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Angela Blackstone, RD, LD
Staff Dietitian
Center for Wellness and Prevention
Clinical Instructor
School of Allied Medical Professionals