Pili incarnati

06/15/2005

Question:

Hello, It has been some years that some hair om my legs grow inwards. Thay do not create an inflammation but something like a pimple that I sometimes can break. I have stopped shaving and I use chemical depilatories that leave a round end. However, some of the hair are still inside the skin and have created little redish pimples. What can I do in order to make the ingrown hairs come back on the surface?Is there any special cream (perhaps containing tretinoin or benzoyl peroxide as I `ve heard)? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Answer:

It would appear that you have spoken to a very knowledgeable physician about the problems related to hair.  Most of the time the hairs that are under the skin have to be extracted, which is usually simply done using a very fine needle.  You may wish to consult an electrolysis who can remove the residual hair and may be able to destroy the growing matrix so that there is no regrowth.  Dipilitories often do not cause enough epithelial desquamation to free the hair which is often below the basement membrane in the dermis. Retinoids and benzoyl peroxide probably will not resolve the lesions that are already present.  It has been my experience that the "foreign body" hair in the papillary dermal tissue requires removal for complete resolution.  I think you now understand the cause of the process and are using hair removal techniques that do not foster the development of new lesions.