Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Unable to climax

06/27/2005

Question:

I met my boyfriend a few months after his divorce was finalized. The first few times we made love, he was able to achieve climax whether it was oral sex or vaginal sex. But shortly thereafter, he would become aroused and able to penetrate me, but no matter how we tried or how long we tried he was unable to climax. He definitely wanted to and said he comes close several times, but it never happens. I don`t even know what this type of problem would be called, is it ED or something else? What can he/we do to help assess what may be causing this problem. Lack of sleep, stress held over from his divorce, something I`m doing/not doing? We would appreciate any advice you may have on classifying this problem and what we might pursue to diagnose and treat the problem.

Answer:

This is not erectile dysfunction, this is ejaculatory dysfunction. this type of problem is usually nonphysical. A male who can climax and then suddenly is unable to, usually has some psychogenic reason. Occasionally, there can be physical reasons like a prostate infection or early diabetes.

Thus, your boyfriend should see a urologist to rule out a prostate problem or early diabetes, and then a psychologist to help with the ejaculation problem.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology