Sever itching

07/11/2005

Question:

i have this mostly in the summer. when i sweat it get worse. i have a seveer itching on my stomach chest and brest area. when i have this i have a burning in my mouth. it will go away fro a day or two than comes back. i am not red or there is no rash. i have been putting lotion on but it does not help. would you happen to know what this could be, and do i go to my family dr. or a dermatolgist. thank-you

Answer:

Since your pruritus or itching is worse when you perspire, I would suggest that you may have a variation of an hidrotic pruritus.  That is to say, there are areas on your skin that remain dry when you should be sweating profusely.  In those areas that are dry the sweat may dissect into the skin and cause severe itching.  Occasionally because of impaired cooling you may experience elevated body temperature.  A careful examination by your board certified dermatologist may help you establish that process. 

There are patients that also have solar urticaria, some of which occurs when sweating begins and light beams are focused through the sweat onto the skin resulting in degranulation of mass cells and hives forming; but too can be diagnosed by your board certitied dermatologist.  There are other reasons for itching during the summer including a number of photosensitivity disorders.

Because the differential is lengthy, I would urge you to see your board certified dermatologist for assistance in making the correct diagnosis so that your itching can be controlled.

Thank you for your inquiry.