Gum Diseases

Pleae ehlp with a strange disorder

07/18/2005

Question:

I have a good freidn who is teerified tha she may have aides or cancer I finally convinced her to go to a dr but she is about to back out so I am tryting find soe info cause this is really strange stuff she is going thru. her gums are i horrible shape dicolored and sticky feeling bad odor brath she also had a gummy sricky tongue please geve me soem thiong to convince her to go toa sdoctor and wht kid,she ahs had thes disorder for about 10 yearsa dn tis getting alot worse thankyou so much please answer asap,I am afraid for her mental well beign

Answer:

It is very hard to give a diagnosis from what you are describing.  She has to visit a periodontist to get the correct diagnosis and treatment.  This type of severe problems may be related to some systemic health problems that may affect her immune system. She may be also experiencing not only a bacterial infection but some type of fungal infection.  It does not mean that she has AIDS or cancer for sure.  For instance, patients with diabetes may develop these symptoms if their diabetes is not under control.  It may even be  stress related. 

In any case, I recommend going to a periodontist. University hospitals with dental clinics are generally very experienced with aggressive types of oral infections.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology