Braces

Braces and extraction therapy

07/22/2005

Question:

My daughter just turned 13 and has been seeing an orthodontist for several years to monitor when and if she needed braces. To me her teeth look straight, but her xrays tell different. She has her eye tooth coming in at the roof of her mouth. He wants to put braces on her, bring the eye tooth down and extract two teeth (one on each side) to make room. Is this radical or should I let him do this? Should I seek a second opinion? What about a palatal expander?

Answer:

My advise is that if possible he should test the movement of the unerupted tooth. Then, if extractions are needed to proceed. There are other reasons to extract; mainly to balance the bite with the lower arch. A second opinion never hurts, but since you did not mention your daughter's age, I can't comment on a palatal expander. I hope this helps.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry