Infectious Diseases

Im not sure

08/22/2005

Question:

I had sex with a guy last night and after we hade sex we did it later that day again an it hurt an when i used the bathroom it stings and burns.could that have been becuse of we where doing it to long or could i have a disease

Answer:

I am assuming you are a woman. If so, it is not uncommon after sex to have burning pain when you pee. It may also feel uncomfortable in your vagina. There may be irritation due to not enough lubrication during sex. Sometimes, germs (bacteria) are pushed back into the urethra (the tube that goes from the bladder to the outside world). This can cause a bladder infection. The best advice is to use lots of lubrication during sex (KY jelly or spermicidal jelly). Always use a condom to prevent transmission of disease. After sex (right after) always try to pee and drink lots of water to make sure you pee. This will push the germs back out of the urethra. Syphilis, gonorrhea and HIV all take more than 3-4 days to up to 6 weeks to be passed from one person to another. So, you probably did not "catch" anything that fast to cause the pain. Hope this helps.

Go to the Infectious Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl   Fichtenbaum, MD Carl Fichtenbaum, MD