Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Loss of sensation in my penis

08/10/2005

Question:

I`m in my early 30`s. After the sudden onset of intense burning in my lower back, I noticed a marked loss of sensation in my penis. The sensation of needing to urinate is now somewhat distant and vague, which means I can now wait much longer before I feel any urge to urinate. MRI scans of my lumbar spine found little to explain the cause of the burning lower back pain. The MRI report indicated a "mild L5-S1 disc desiccation with non-compressive annular bulge," which to doctor wasn`t concerned about. My bladder/prostate was examined with a sonogram shortly after urinating, and the urologist found a negligible amount of urine still in the bladder. My question is, what could be causing this loss of sensation and what sort of tests should I be asking about to have this sensation loss objectively measured? Does this fall within the realm of neurology or urology? When I have intercourse, I don`t feel much of anything until I ejaculate, so this is now affecting the quality of my sex life, though I do not have much of a problem getting an erection. It`s been like this for several months, so I`m hoping the damage is not permanent.

Answer:

This could be prostatitis.  Thus, you should see a urologist.  You also may need to see a neurologist to get to the root of the problem.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology