Circles under eyes

08/15/2005

Question:

I am a 34 year old male and over the last few years I have developed dark circles under my eyes. Regardless of rest,diet or stress levels these areas remain. Is there anything I can do to reverse this?

Answer:

It is difficult to fully understand why you may have developed darkness under your eyes at your young age.  I would suggest that it probably is familial and is a reflection of normal pigmentation for your family at your age.  It would be my suggestion that you see an ophthalmologist to see if there is redundant skin that can be partially removed.  You might see your board certified dermatologist to see if what you have would respond to topical hydroquinone as a bleacher; and in fact, it might be easier for you to use a waterproofed cosmetic which we frequently use in both sexes to cover up minor cosmetic defects.  There are several excellent ones on the market.  I frequently use Dermablend and ask for waterproofing so that there is no loss of cosmetic during the course of the work day or during athletic activities.

All of the above assumes that you are in good health and have no other major medical disorders that might lead to various color deposits in various parts of your body.  Your board certified dermatologist can give you information after a full physical examination. 

Good luck!