Face and Jaw Surgery

Jaw Surgery

11/15/2005

Question:

Hello, I am getting jaw surgery a year from now and have never had anything serious done to me except getting shots. I am quite nervous about it even though it is a year out. I have been researching about it as much as possible but have not found what I have wanted. I need to know what changes I will be undergoing and what the exact process is. I am getting braces in one month. Will the surgeons take them off for surgery? Thanks.

Answer:

Postoperative changes depend to a great extent on what kind of occlusal/facial growth discrepancy the patient starts with. Orthognathic or jaw surgery is done to improve function, but by its nature there is a direct effect on the patient's facial appearance. One can say that these changes also improve facial attractiveness. As you may already know, orthodontic treatment is typically started 12 to 18 months before surgery, and the braces stay on for the procedure. There is a period of postsurgical orthodontic treatment needed to finalize the occlusion which could take anywhere from 6 to 12 months.

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Guillermo  E Chacon, DDS Guillermo E Chacon, DDS
Associate Professor of Dentistry