Smoking and Tobacco

Nicotaine stains in the truck

I was recently hired at a trucking company, and they put me into a truck with a sleeper unit and had me clean it out. I noticed a stingy smell along with a very stinky smell, i was surprised to find out what it was. After using seventy five(75) Clorox wipes and a can of febreze i was happy to sense I had cleaned this truck out. After a day in it my skins had a rash, my skin felt irritated, and I had started to cough. The smell was returning also, as I looked up I saw that the whole ceiling was not the same color as the rest of the fabric - it was brownish. I remembered a home of a cigar smoker that was brownish after the smokers lived there several years, I knew then it was that the prior truck driver was a smoker. Today I am home for the first time and feel sick, with a mild fever. I feel that this has been caused by the nicotine. How will this affect my health, how will the nicotine harm my lungs, how long will trhis last and should I notify any other agency about this practice. DO EMPLOYERS HAVE THE CONCERN OR OBLIGATION TO THEIR EMPLOYEES NOT TO BE EXPOSED TO CHEMICALS??OR IS IT THAT AMERICA HAS BECOME A THIRD WORLD STANDARD OF LIVING???

The first thing you need to do is go to the Employee Health Department of your company (or wherever your company designates employees to be seen) to be examined by a physician, especially if you believe the illness/injury might be work-related, as your complaint may need future involvement with Workers' Compensation. Chlorox can also be a potent irritant, and possibly harmful.

OSHA, the Occupational Safety & Health Administration, regulates most companies. The website for OSHA is www.osha.gov. Your company should also be able to provide you with their Safety Policies/Procedures.

You will need to follow-up with other experts on cleaning nicotine stains, but first seek medical advice.

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Kathy Vesha, RN, BSN, MA
Kick It!
The James