Rash or Hives?

09/01/2005

Question:

Recently, I have moved from Louisiana to South Florida and have noticed an itchy rash of some sort on the left side of my face, neck and arms. At first I thought it was just a heat rash, but after doing some research I found that heat rashes rarely occur on the face. Therefore, I went to the local pharmacist, and he believed that it was probably hives. After doing research on hives, I have found that hives rarely occur on the face either. So now I`m confused on whether I have hives or just some type of rash. How do you distinguish between the two?

Answer:

It is very difficult to know what you may have from your description.  Papular urticaria from insect bites can certainly occupy one side of your face and be persistent depending upon your sensitivity to the insects' saliva or venom.  Generally, urticaria is a generalized process and may involve any area of the body but usually multiple areas. 

Given the unusual expression of your problem I would urge you to see your board certified dermatologist so that an accurate diagnosis can be made and then proper treatment administered.

Good luck!