Gum Diseases

Effects of tooth abcess, long term

09/01/2005

Question:

I am in my late twenties with a history of poor oral hygeine. I used to consume a lot of soft drinks, and have changed my diet and oral hygeine habits for the better two years ago. I had a diagnosed tooth abcess in early 2004, but I had no way to pay for it`s treatment (I have no health insurance). I am experiencing the same symptoms now, only on the other side of my mouth, where a wisdom tooth is. Half of my molars are broken or cracked, and now part of my upper mouth and the gums surrounding the infected tooth are turning white. I am afraid to go to a dentist, because of the horrible condition that my mouth is in (it is very embarrassing), but now I am afraid that I am going to lose all of my teeth. Is there a chance that my remaining teeth can be spared?

Answer:

It is obvious that you need urgent care.  Abscesses will continue to develop from severely decayed, broken tooth. You have to keep in mind that this is an infection caused by bacteria and it will spread if you do not have treatment. It will probably affect your general health too. Thus, it will become more costly and your dentist will be more limited in what he/she can save.  I recommend you visiting a dentist immediately. You may receive discounts at different facilities such as university hospitals, dental schools, etc.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology