Obesity and Weight Management

Weight loss and thyroid medication

10/18/2005

Question:

I am currently under the care of a physician who is guiding me with my weight loss program. I had a thyroid function lab test that came back within the normal range and he is suggesting for me to go on a thyroid medication to help improve my weight loss. Can this permanently damage my thyroid?

Answer:

There is no good evidence to support the use of thyroid hormone for weight loss or the treatment of obesity in a person with normal functioning thyroid. Thyroid hormone is ineffective for weight reduction in a person with a normal functioning thyroid. Taking thyroid medication when the thyroid function is normal can cause potentially life threatening toxicity. I recommend that you talk further with your doctor. The best method for weight loss is still to reduce your calorie intake and increase your physical activity.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Esa M Davis, MD, MPH Esa M Davis, MD, MPH
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Family Medicine