HIV and AIDS

Could I Be Seroconverting After Four Months Of Exposure?

10/10/2005

Question:

I had unprotected sex with a girl who is known to have multiple partners. I had sex with her four times in December 2004. The last episode was on December 13. Then I came to know that she had multiple partners and I stopped everything. After that I was under great fear. At the 9th week after exposure, I had an acute Pharyingitis which was exudative (which produced sputum). I had an HIV ELISA test done exactly after 3 months. It was negative. I donated blood after another month, that is on 14th of April, 2005. There they also tested my blood and all the test were negative. But after this period, I was having dizziness at some time and pain at joints at some other time.

Now I am planning to get married. Is there still any chance that I am still seroconverting? Should I undergo any further tests? Please advise me as early as it may help to save the life of another girl, whom I am going to marry.

Answer:

You have been tested for HIV antibody several times, the last was 4 months after your last contact with the girl with multiple partners. There is no chance that you are still seroconverting. You did not contract HIV from this person. IF YOU HAVE HAD NO OTHER EXPOSURES since then, you do not have HIV infection.

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Peter T Frame, MD Peter T Frame, MD
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Medicine