Prostate Cancer

Prostate Cancer Spreading and Damage to Kidneys

10/10/2005

Question:

In regards to the Prostate being blacken, maybe the wrong terminology was used, but I was told that the procedure of scraping the prostate showed that the cancer has taken over the prostate and eventually it will get bigger and burst with the cancer cell spreading through out the body. I guess my question would be, is this true? is there any chance the cancer has attacked the kidneys since one is barely functioning and the other completely shut down. The diagnosis of 6 months were given. Could this mean there`s nothing else that could be done to save life?

Answer:

Prostate cancer may cause obstruction of the kidneys by blocking the ureters which are the tubes that drain the kidneys and bring urine into the bladder.  These tumors can spread but many patients can be treated in a variety of ways.  I suggest you consult with a urologist who should be able to help you and if not, refer you to a physician who can.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology