Face and Jaw Surgery

Broken jaw

11/15/2005

Question:

I broke my jaw in a biking accident 9 weeks ago, I had brokens bones 3 b ones in my jaw,had them fixed with plates, screws, wires, etc. my jaws were wired shut for 6 weeks, at 8 weeks the metal was taken off my teeth. Although I know that I have to have my teeth straightened, etc. The numbness is very frustrating. How long can I expect the numbness to last or will it ever be normal again? I have numbness in my lower gums, lower lip, chin, jaw,and in that area. thanks,

Answer:

It all depends on what type of injury your lower jaw nerve suffered. It is difficult for me to comment without having had the opportunity to evaluate or to see your before and after radiographs. However, depending on the severity of the injury, the numbness can go from a few weeks to several months, and in some cases, it is permanent.

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Guillermo  E Chacon, DDS Guillermo E Chacon, DDS
Associate Professor of Dentistry