Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Count `em TEN crowns

10/05/2005

Question:

I thought that I was being proactive in taking my 3yr old daughter to the dentist, however, I found much younger kids in the office for prevention...At my daugher`s first dentist visit there were, count them 10 teeth that would need crowns. I`m very embarassed by this and I have other children who are in their tweens who have no cavities and I practiced the same oral hygiene practices on each child. My 3yr old never really used a bottle...she was breastfeed and progressed from being breastfed to the sippy cup. Is it normal to have this many crowns found @ one time? Is it normal practice to have restoration performed on teeth that will not be permanent?

Answer:

There is no doubt that we are seeing many children with cavities when they are very young. That's why the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry advocates taking your child to the dentist by the time of his/her first birthday. We also know that practices besides bottle feeding in bed can start the cavity process. While it may be surprising that your child needs 10 crowns if you never noticed any problem with her teeth, it's not that unusual. These teeth should be restored to maintain their function for the 10 years that she will need them. It's always a good idea to get a second opinion from another children's dentist if you have any doubts.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry