Tazorac

10/13/2005

Question:

I´ve started using Tazorac at night, just on the nose. When I wake up, the first thing I like to do is walk outside. If I put sunscreen over the Tazorac would that protect me or is it necessary to first wash the Tazorac off? Thanks

Answer:

The Tazorac should not be worn for more than 6 to 8 hours because it is a primary irritant.  Most of us ask that you apply it on retiring, rinse it off in the morning, apply moisturizer and then your sunscreen. 

If you apply the Tazorac in the morning and go outside, certainly applying a high SPF sunscreen is indicated, along with wearing a hat.  In overlaying the Tazorac with other materials you tend to dilute it and may impair some of its therapeutic value.  However, I doubt it would be of great significance.  I would, in fact, encourage you to watch the timing of the application so that you have a minimum of primary irritant reaction.

If there are any questions please consult your board certified dermatologist.