Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children)

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Abandonment

I have a 13 yr old child that has been diagnosed with post tramatic stress w/ flashbacks as well as abandonment issues. We have bee in counseling for 6yrs. He has had 3 counselors and now a Dr. of child pshycology have told me thay can`t help him. He is a human being. I won`t accept that his future will be nothing more than juvenille vacilities and prison. Please tell me how to best help him, so he can help himself.

Well it sounds like you have had some experience with the mental health system.  For post-traumatic stress disorder of long standing, a combination of medication and specific cognitive behavioral therapies are beneficial.  Often the public mental health system has superior resources in this area than that available privately.  I would suggest you contact your local community mental health center for services. 

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Floyd R Sallee, MD