Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children)

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Abandonment

10/24/2005

Question:

I have a 13 yr old child that has been diagnosed with post tramatic stress w/ flashbacks as well as abandonment issues. We have bee in counseling for 6yrs. He has had 3 counselors and now a Dr. of child pshycology have told me thay can`t help him. He is a human being. I won`t accept that his future will be nothing more than juvenille vacilities and prison. Please tell me how to best help him, so he can help himself.

Answer:

Well it sounds like you have had some experience with the mental health system.  For post-traumatic stress disorder of long standing, a combination of medication and specific cognitive behavioral therapies are beneficial.  Often the public mental health system has superior resources in this area than that available privately.  I would suggest you contact your local community mental health center for services. 

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Floyd R Sallee, MD