Breast Feeding

Pre birth milk

11/07/2005

Question:

I am due today but I am not in labor yet, this is my first baby and I plan to breast feed. My breast were begining to burn, so i took the advice of my best friend and squeezed some out.

At first it was clear with a yellow tent, which I know is normal, but after a few seconds of doing that, a few squeezes, I noticed that it looked bloody. It was clear with a few blood looking spots mixed in it, Should I be worried, and is there any thing wronge? Please let me know A.S.A.P.

Answer:

You must be very ready to have your baby and I am glad you are planning to breast feed. I am sorry to hear your breasts are so uncomfortable right now.

To answer your question, having blood tinged colostrum is normal in the early stages of breast feeding. As you establish breast feeding with your newborn it should disappear. Please let your medical provider know if it continues or gets worse.

Please be careful as you massage and manipulate your breasts and nipples before you have your infant. Handling or massaging your breasts or rolling your nipples is known to release oxytocin which will stimulate contractions. If you do it too much you could get a large release of oxytocin which could make for a long contraction and might harm you baby. So, please only minimally manipulate your breasts and nipples until after you baby is born.

I wish you the best in your labor, delivery, and new parenthood.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Barbara   Morrison, PhD, CNM, FNP Barbara Morrison, PhD, CNM, FNP
Assistant Professor of Nursing
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing