Gum Diseases

Teeth

10/24/2005

Question:

My teeth are very brittle they seem to break in my sleep or while eating. Just wandering what can be done to prevent this?

Answer:

If this is something that you observe for all your teeth, it may be related to genetics.  There are actually a couple of diseases that affect tooth enamel, dentin and/or cementum structures.  But this is seen early in life and continues to be a problem during the life-time. 

If you are observing this in some teeth, you may be grinding your teeth at night, or they may be already decayed and you notice it by seeing broken pieces. A night guard can be made for grinding problems.  How to treat the remaining tooth depends on how much tooth structure is left. If it is a small piece that is broken, a dentist can restore the tooth most of the time. 

If you have a disease that genetically affects your tooth structure, you should be under control all the time. Regular tooth cleaning, fluoride treatment and controlling your diet may help to reduce the disease progress.  Thus, a dentist needs to figure out why you have brittle teeth and treat accordingly.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology