Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Hypersexuality and Bipolar Disorder

11/08/2005

Question:

My daughter has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder .She is 14 and is currently taking Lithium and Risperdal. It has made a huge difference at school and home but she is very sexually provocative and I just found out she has been offfering herself for money. I am desperate and wonder how to handle this situation.S he gets lots of obsessions, the latests being she wants to have a baby. Can you offer any advice. I am at my wits end with worry.

Answer:

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. Hypersexuality is frequently a symptom of bipolar disorder and often decreases with mood stability. In your daughter's case, it may be a bipolar symptom that has not been effectively managed with lithium and Risperdal. However, it could also be a sign of other things going on in your daughter's life, which need to be identified and addressed.

In either case, since this behavior is distressing to you (as it is to many parents) and has certain associated risks, (e.g., early pregnancy, sexual transmitted diseases, etc.), I would strongly suggest you both talking with her psychiatrist and therapist about this issue.

I hope my reply is helpful. Best wishes to you and your daughter.

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry